I’ve always loved the beginning of the school calendar year. It brings with it more structure, consistency, and the hopes of cooler weather! It also brings forward a fresh start, new goals, and an opportunity to create vision. Have you noticed how the fall seems to accelerate us right into the end of the calendar year? There is a collective energy during this time of the year and at the New Year that seems to give us an extra push into possibility.
I find it powerful to take advantage of this energy and take the time to evaluate my progress, make any course corrections to meet my goals, and begin considering what’s next. Here are five steps I take:
- Review your calendar to see what actually was accomplished so far this year versus what you think you accomplished. I always find that the facts are the true story as they present unbiased information.
- Reevaluate your goals and determine if they are still providing you excitement, drive, and feedback about whether you’re on the right track. If there is something that is not happening based on your actions, take a hard look to see if you need to let go of that particular goal or recommit.
- Break down annual goals by quarters, then by the month, then by weeks. According to Stephen Covey in “The Seven Habits of Highly Effective People“, starting a vision, goal, or project with the “end in mind” helps to flush out all the steps to get you to your intended outcome.
- Build accountability by holding an ongoing meeting to check off the weekly and monthly goals. I also have a person to meet with that will hold me accountable. This is a crucial step in sustaining results.
- Celebrate your accomplishments by acknowledging where you are. We can be really hard on ourselves and focus on what didn’t happen. If you shift your focus, you will find an exciting energy follows and momentum can be gained.
Whether you create your vision based on a calendar year, school year, or fiscal year there’s always a time to infuse it with a fresh look. Take advantage of this changing season and reboot your desires through the end of this calendar year!